Portland Public Schools Music Repair Shop
Student Summer Intern 2018
Job Description: Organize physical instrument inventory in warehouse, enter inventory information in the PPS music shop database,
and assist PPS music tech with school deliveries. If time allows; minor cleaning/repair work on wind, brass, percussion, and Orff instruments.
- Organize instruments in warehouse by type (Ex. Used trombones together and new trombones together, drum sets together)
- Check PPS designated number on each instrument
o Tag instrument case with brand and model
o Enter/check instruments with the PPS Music Shop database.
New instruments: double check serial number on instruments to the database.
o Create ID numbers for new instruments, engrave, and enter into the database.
- Travel to schools with PPS Music Shop tech to update inventories. Pick up repairs and drop off repaired instruments. Assist in repairing percussion instruments and music stands at school sites.
- If time allows:
o Clean brass and woodwind mouthpieces and replace mouthpiece corks
o Percussion: Replace drumheads, disassemble drums, repair stands
o Disassemble and clean brass instruments including trumpets, cornets, and trombones o Repair and clean instrument cases: replace latches, handles, and hinges
- Start Date: June 15th.
- Hours: 6/6:30am-2/2:30pm. We are able to work with you if transportation is an issue. Requirements:
- 18 years of age or older
- Self-motivated. Most work will be alone or with one other person.
- Detail oriented and organized.
o Database MUST stay accurate.
General knowledge of brass and woodwind instruments
o Can differentiate between different types of instruments (know what a trombone, trumpet, clarinet, flute, etc look
o Experience playing an instrument for several years; brass, woodwinds, orchestral strings or percussion. o Comfortable handling fragile instruments without damaging.
o Ability to type at an accurate and efficient rate.
o Comfortable using a computer. Experience with Excel or Access a plus.
Ability to lift 50lbs
o Tubas, Baritone saxophones, mallet percussion instruments can weigh 35-45lbs. o Job includes lifting instruments and boxes of instruments on and off shelves.
o Long pants: Carhartts or good jeans (no holes) (no shorts) o Work boots/hiking boots (no sandals or heels).
PPS MUSIC SHOP